Increase Text Size Decrease Text Size Reset Text Size
About Us
News RX Info Contact Us Emergency Funding Opportunities Medicare Fraud & Abuse subgrantees only

Q: Has the Circuit Breaker Program changed?
A: Effective July 1, 2012, Illinois Cares Rx was terminated and the Circuit Breaker Property Tax Relief Grant was eliminated due to the lack of funding. A new program is available to assist seniors and adults with disabilities: (BEAM) Benefits, Eligibility, Assistance & Monitoring. The benefits now available are:

• Seniors Free Transit Ride
• The Persons with Disabilities Free Transit Ride
• Secretary of State License Plate Discount

Q: How can I find employment?
A: The Area Agency on Aging offers an employment program for persons 55 years of age and over who meet the income criteria. Persons are placed in a non-profit agency 20 hours per week at a minimum. Individuals who are not eligible for this program will be referred to appropriate agencies. Phone 217-787-9234.

Q: Can I receive help paying my utility bills?
A: The Energy Assistance Program has a toll free telephone number for residents of the State of Illinois. Call 1-800-252-8643 to get the number for your local Energy Assistance office.

Q: Is it possible to have meals delivered to my mother's home?
A: Home Delivered Meals are available throughout The Area Agency on Aging's service area. Refer to "Nutrition" on the County Services page of this Web Site to find the program in your county.

Q: I am concerned about my elderly parents. They need someone to go to their home and help with cleaning, bathing, and meal preparation. How can I get help for them?
A: A Case Manager can go to your parents' home to conduct an assessment of their needs, determine eligibility, and help your parents get the service they need. Refer to "Case Management" on the County Services page of this Web Site to find the program in your parents' county.

Q: Can someone help me with my legal problem?
A: Refer to "Legal Assistance" on the County Services page of this Web Site for a number to call to set up an appointment with the attorney. The attorney will help address a variety of legal issues, but does not accept criminal or fee-generating cases.

Q: Can you give me a list of nursing homes in Springfield and the surrounding area?
A: Yes. We will mail you a list of nursing homes in the Area Agency on Aging service area. Either e-mail your request (see e-mail link below), or call us at 1-800-252-2918. For further information, contact I CARE at 217-523-8419 or 1-800-842-8538.

Q: I am having a problem with health insurance. Who can I talk to about it?
A: The Illinois Department of Insurance operates a Senior Health Insurance Program (SHIP) which provides insurance counseling at no charge.
Call SHIP at 1-800-548-9034.

Q: I'm afraid my neighbor's children are taking advantage of her financially. Is there someone who will look into this?
A: Suspected abuse of a senior or any adult (18-59 years old) with a disability, should be reported to the Adult Protective Services (APS) Provider Agency in the county where it has occurred.  This information can be found on our County Services Page.  Financial exploitation is the most common type of abuse; other types include physical abuse, sexual abuse, emotional abuse, confinement and neglect by a caregiver.  There is also a toll-free 24 hour number to report abuse: 1-866-800-1409

More Questions? Need information or materials?
Click here to e-mail us.

Area Agency on Aging does not discriminate in admission to programs or treatment of employment in programs or activities in compliance with appropriate State and Federal Statutes. Funds for this website were provided through a Title III Older Americans Act award from the Illinois Department on Aging.

© 2014 Area Agency On Aging For Lincolnland - All Rights Reserved